Teamwork Leadership Banner

How Leaders Can Develop an Attitude of Gratitude and Sleep Better Too!

Sleep Better – Attitude of Gratitude

3 Specific Ways to Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude for Leaders

Gratitude truly is an attitude. In this posting, as promised in our last posting “The Benefits of Gratitude – 3 Reasons Leaders Can’t Afford Not to Be”, we provide three specific tips on how leaders can cultivate gratitude in their life. There are big benefits to being grateful, so this is the time to start working on it right away!

1. Instead of counting sheep at bedtime, count blessings. It cured my occasional  insomnia! Instead of worrying about everything you didn’t get done and worrying about everything you have to get done, try focusing just on those things that you are grateful for. All of the negative thoughts disappear. It really works and you will wake up happier too!

2. Focus on giving to those you lead. One of the most powerful things I have learned is that the more I give of myself, the more I care about others. The more I care, the more grateful I become. You can give a genuine compliment, give a gift, give of your time or give of your compassion. The point is to give, give and give and you will be happier and more grateful for it.

3. Focus on the positives of those you lead. It is so easy to focus on the negative. Be grateful for the positive contributions of your organization, team, children or anyone else you have the opportunity to be a leader to. The more you focus on the good things people do, the more grateful you become for them.

Any other ideas or comments. I would absolutely love to hear from you. Please comment below.

If you enjoyed this post and would like to share it with your team, colleagues or anyone else, please “Share” it, “Tweet” it, “LinkedIn” it, “Email” it, “Google Plus” it, or “Like” it, by using one of the buttons below. Thanks friends!

Check out these other popular posts related to gratitude.

3 Steps to Becoming a More Grateful Leader – Cultivate the Attitude of Gratitude

What Leader or Leaders Are You Thankful For?

• george altman December 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Oh boy! What a better world it would be if we spent more time, at least a sense of balance, between shifting our attention from the self onto the “other.” When I think of gratitude I ask myself, where does the feeling/sense of gratitude come from? Is it something internal or does it emanate from something greater than me? Or, is it, again, that “dance”between self and other? I appreciated your comments. Thank you!

• Mike Rogers December 22, 2011, 5:47 pm

Thanks for your comments George. I think gratitude comes from us and others – so it is a dance. But I also believe it is a confirming feeling from something bigger than us all.

• Melissa Giovagnoli (G)Wilson December 27, 2011, 7:40 pm

Love this article. Thanks for bringing it forward. I am working extensively at a Fortune 1000 company currently that I believe could use this advice.

• Doug Nelson January 5, 2012, 12:58 pm

I work for a small company that just completed it’s 20th year in business. Last Dec. (2010), the CEO announced that the theme for 2011 would be Gratitude. We had an activity each month that allowed us to serve our families or the community. Each month we were reminded of all we have been blessed with and how grateful we should be. The CEO has decided to carry this over to 2012. Our theme is “Make a Difference”. I am grateful for the chance to work for a company that recognizes how important gratitude is.

• Mike Rogers January 6, 2012, 2:39 pm

I love the service orientated themes Doug. What a great leader you have. He understands the power of care in an organization. Thanks for sharing.

• Jackie Strobel September 3, 2012, 8:24 pm

It is important to be grateful of the tasks and helpful things that students do. Get them involved in decision making and genuinely thank them for it. It makes them feel great, valued, encouraged and builds confidence. There is a quote that is not mine, but states something like….to know that someone has breathed easier because of you, is to have succeeded. Caring for others and facing fears because of the greater care for others is indeed a success and most definitely exudes leadership.

• Mike Rogers September 6, 2012, 1:34 pm

Thanks Jackie. I like you comment around building confidence. Being grateful for the good things others does, does build confidence!

• Francis August 13, 2013, 1:52 am

I enjoy these ideas very much.the truth of the matter is that they are very true.
    just to add,
    i personally think that it is also important to contribute generously towards those things which brings happiness to them.

Next post: