Teamwork Leadership Banner

The Benefits of Gratitude – 3 Reasons Leaders Can’t Afford Not to Be

Leaders Ought to be Grateful – Benefits of Gratitude

Create a greater attitude of gratitude leaders!

If you have followed this blog for any time (we are three years old in March!) you know I  love talking about how leaders ought to be kind, smile more, care and be positive. Well… leaders ought to be grateful as well.

The last couple of weeks I have done a lot of reflecting on the benefits of gratitude in my life. People that are grateful seem to be more successful and seem to be a lot happier. A happy person could give you a list of 10 or more things he or she is grateful for without hesitation, and each of them would be given with great sincerity.

Why must leaders be grateful? Here are three benefits of gratitude:

1. Improves health. Research shows that people who are more grateful have stronger immune systems, are bothered less by aches and pains, sleep longer and are more refreshed waking up and have higher levels of positive emotions (see “Why Grattitude is Good”). With greater energy and focus and better able to deal with stress; healthier leaders are more effective.

2. Improves relationships. As I already stated, grateful people are happier people. Most people prefer to be around and establish relationships with people who are happier. Relationship building is at the heart of good leadership.

3. Improves productivity. Leaders who are grateful tend to be more passionate and deeply committed to those that they lead and think more often about rewards and recognition. They give more credit, praise and faith in those they lead. People are inspired by leaders that they know care.

What are some of the benefits you have seen of being grateful? We would love to hear from you in the comments below.

Watch for our next posting on how to become a more grateful leader.

Other postings you might like:

Is saying thank you that important for leaders?

What Leader or Leaders Are You Thankful For?

If you enjoyed this post and would like to share it with your team, colleagues or anyone else, please “Share” it, “Tweet” it, “LinkedIn” it, “Email” it, “Google Plus” it, or “Like” it, by using one of the buttons below. Thanks friends!

• Judy December 13, 2011, 7:37 am

This blends in with your 3 reasons, but better empathy too!

• Mike Rogers December 13, 2011, 7:38 am

Thanks Judy for the comment. Empathy is a good one. In fact it could be stated that one with greater gratitude probably has higher emotional intelligence overall?

• Mike Rogers December 13, 2011, 8:36 am

Thanks Cody! You are kind. It is thoughtful comments from people like you that keep me writing.
    I think you make a great point. Gratitude is a positive emotion and people are drawn to positive people. I always tell my kids if you want to make a lot of friends then build people up and help them feel good. I believe genuine gratitude is a way to do that.

• Cody Sorensen December 13, 2011, 8:36 am

Love the blog Mike. You always have good comments and insight. Thanks for all the effort.
    If i may, I would add to point #2 that relationships are also stronger because gratitude is often reciprocated. It seems to me that it is terribly hard to think less of someone that full of gratitude towards you.

• Emilie J DiChristina December 14, 2011, 5:55 pm

Great blog posting. Too bad that many leaders will never read it, or will see the title and move on because they believe they already have the EQ locked up.
    I’ve not always been the best leader, but I find that self reflection on the good and bad that has occurred as the result of my actions, works to improve my leadership skills much more than reading the latest, greatest techniques. Your blog is an example of how reflection in what we should be grateful for can improve our leadership skills and our value as human beings.

• Mike Rogers December 15, 2011, 7:52 pm

First of all thank you Emilie. You are very kind!
    I haven’t always been the greatest leader either, but I have improved every day because of the wealth of information out there on becoming a better leader, as well as my own reflection. It is really about humbly realizing that we can all can get better.
    I am thankful for leaders like you that take the time to read my blog!

Next post: