Teamwork and Leadership Blog Michael Rogers

Three Important Tips for Wasting Lots of Time at Work – Time Management

Waste time at work.

Do you have a need to waste lots of time at work? Most of us are on the lookout for a tip or two from time to time, right? Here are three important tips, free of charge by the way, to aid you in being very inefficient, less productive and to help you become a real important time-wasting liability to your organization.

1. Classically condition yourself to check e-mail. I call it “Pavlov’s E-mail Syndrome.” But this is a good syndrome because it will help you waste more time than you could imagine. Pavlov was a scientist who conducted an experiment where he would present a restrained dog a bowl of food. The dog would immediately begin to salivate in anticipation of eating. He would then pair the food with the ringing of a bell. Eventually he would only ring the bell and the dog would continue to salivate.

It isn’t very hard to develop the syndrome, that’s why this is my number one tip. All you have to do is make sure you set every bell and notification you possibly can in your e-mail application to tell you an e-mail has arrived and then check it immediately. As a result, you will soon begin to salivate yourself every time an e-mail arrives. As soon as you do you will start a journey that is sure to disrupt any flow you might have been in and guarantee you won’t get back on tasks for another 10 or 20 minutes or more.

2. You must check cnn.com, usatoday.com, espn.com or any web page of your choice first thing in the morning. Think about it, this has the potential to really help you waste lots of time. Since the morning is typically a time with fewer distractions, since people are just getting settled for the day, this one activity absolutely ensures you take advantage of this quiet time by wasting lots of time reading story after story. Then later on when things get busy, you can get lots of interruptions that waste more time. This tip really does maximize your time-wasting activities. Trust me, I know.

3. Put off the most important and difficult things first. Nobody likes doing important and difficult things any way. And by putting them off, you will find your day is filled with things that don’t mean a whole lot. Besides, if you put them off they might disappear, right? And the biggest benefit is you will begin to lose more and more energy throughout the day, feel like you accomplished nothing and become more and more grumpy. Each of these will propel you to a huge lack of motivation, guaranteeing more time wasted!

What other tips do you have? Would love to hear your comments below? Be creative, there are a lot more ways to waste time!

Please help spread the word about our blog with the World and “Like Us,” “Share Us,” “EMail Us,” “LinkedIn US,” “Tweet Us,” “Google+ Us” or anything Us below! Thanks friends!

If you enjoyed this post and would like to see more like it, click on any of the posts below.

How many IQ points do you drop when multi-tasking? Time Management

Eat a Frog as Mark Twain Suggested – Perfect Time Management Tip

Time Management – Two Important Things I Learned this Last Week

Time Management – Two Important Things I Learned this Last Week – Part II

Time Management Tips That Could Change Your Life – Part I

Part II – Time Management Tips That Could Change Your Life

• Dick Handshaw March 23, 2010, 1:46 pm

I enjoyed the article. The addiction to email is especially annoying when you are sitting in an important meeting and people are holding their hands under the table staring down. Really, can’t they at least waste time on their own time? I would have answered sooner, but I had to check out msn.com first.
    As for the last one, I would like to pass on one of my favorite quotes from Jim Robinson of Partners in Cahnge. He says “you should never put off the important for the urgent”. With that said, I need to get back to work.

• Mike Rogers April 6, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks Dick. Great comments. I love it to when people try to be discrete about wasting time : )Love the quote.

• Tag Your Friends March 9, 2011, 4:38 am

Time management is really very essential for us.It helps in leaving a life better way.You write such a nice article.

• Fuzzi Bunz February 17, 2012, 3:12 am

That is main think about Time Management. It helps in leaving a life better way. Above three tips really very useful to everyone. I like your article.

• Una Doyle August 18, 2012, 3:35 am

Hahahaha
    So true Mike – it’s challenging for people to get into flow in the first place if they don’t know how to do that. :-)
    I often close down my mail when starting to do a task so I don’t get distracted.
    I’ll share this, my followers will love it too. :-)

• Mike Rogers August 18, 2012, 9:44 am

Thanks Una! I am glad you enjoyed it and kind find it of value and are sharing it!

• employ November 28, 2012, 9:35 pm

Very good post. I’m going through some of these issues as well..

• Pamela Cournoyer March 18, 2013, 10:17 am

You got me, this was the first email in my inbox this morning. LOL

I do salivate over seeing what goodies might have arrived for me today and then don’t have time to follow up. Please write an article on email management.

• Michael Rogers March 18, 2013, 11:16 am

LOL! Thanks Pamela. See this post on email time management : )http://www.teamworkandleadership.com/2012/07/5-email-time-management-tips-they-really-work.html

• Danny March 19, 2013, 11:02 am

Nice tongue-in-cheek article! My favorite way to waste time is to look at statistics, and create charts from data that will have no bearing, relationship, or impact to anyone’s day-to-day job functions! I can do that ALL DAY!

• Michael Rogers March 21, 2013, 9:56 pm

Thanks Danny! And excellent suggestion for wasting time as well : )

• Michelle Fuko March 21, 2013, 4:28 am

Another good way to waste time is to create meetings in which the conversation goes around in circles and by the end, there are no actionable items or way forward. Not only does this waste time at work, it sufficiently drains your brain so that you come out of the meeting feeling like you ran a marathon.

If you plan it right- say about 2:30 or 3pm, you could also come out of the meeting saying “I don’t have enough time to get started on anything new, so I might as well visit my colleagues and/or facebook until the clock strikes 5pm.”

• Michael Rogers March 21, 2013, 9:33 pm

Those are excellent suggestions Michelle ; ) I love it when we make sure we waste everyone time by not having anything productive come from the meeting.

• Celeste Budwit-Hunter March 22, 2013, 8:16 am

Time wasters like these have often been a red flag in the past that I was actually in the wrong job, that it was time to move on. Thanks for the fun read!