Two weeks ago I asked the question on several LinkedIn Groups “What is so difficult about teamwork?” I received well over 200 responses. My intention was to rank each of them and then figure out ways we can create better teamwork.
Today we will discuss obstacle number two – lack of goals and goal alignment.
- Lack of a competent leader (27)
- Lack of goals and goal alignment (26)
- Individuals focused on themselves and not the team (21)
- Lack of understanding of team members (20)
- Lack of clarity on team roles, the purpose or vision of the team (15)
- Lack of focus on team rewards and appreciation (12)
- Lack of spending time together as a team (9)
- Poor communication (8)
- Lack of trust (7)
- Lack of accountability (6)
Why is it a problem when a team lacks goals? Is it enough for a team to simply say these are our goals? In order for those goals to have a positive effect on the team, what is required? What can organizations and team leaders do to ensure goals are aligned?
Okay those are just a few questions to think about. Maybe you have more. Let’s start the discussion. I am looking forward to it.