About a month ago I asked the question on several LinkedIn Groups “What is so difficult about teamwork?” I received well over 200 responses. My intention was to rank each of them and then figure out ways we can create better teamwork.
To access the posts on all of the teamwork barriers click here.
Today we will discuss obstacle number Nine – “Lack of Trust.”
- Lack of a competent leader (27)
- Lack of goals and goal alignment (26)
- Individuals focused on themselves and not the team (21)
- Lack of understanding of team members (20)
- Lack of clarity on team roles, and/or the purpose and vision of the team (15)
- Lack of focus on team rewards and appreciation (12)
- Lack of spending time together as a team (9)
- Poor communication (8)
- Lack of trust (7)
- Lack of accountability (6)
Trust is the foundation to every solid and functional team. Without trust team members will hold back thoughts and opinions for fear of conflict with negative consequences, won’t be as committed, won’t ask for help, will misjudge the intentions of teammates and so forth and so on.
While most would agree that trust is critical on teams, why is absent so often? And what do we do about it?
Follow Mike on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/secondgleader
Join our Teamwork Group on Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/2232816/