I like to use the analogy of a professional athletic coach (college or pro) when asked this question. If the team does poorly; loses the game or has a losing season, is he or she accountable as the coach? Absolutely!
– selected the assistant coaches
– prepared the players for the game
– inspires the team to play
– puts the right players in the game
– develops the right strategies during the game
– makes critical decisions at game time
– keeps player motivated during the game
You get the point. Any leader has the same responsibilities and makes the same decisions as above and more. If the ship goes down, the captain better be willing to go down with it. Do you agree? I would like to discuss.
Become a fan of Teamwork and Leadership on Facebook (It’s New)
Follow Mike on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/secondgleader