Did you know that laughter lowers blood pressure, boost your immune system, reduces stress hormones and improves alertness, memory, productivity and creativity?
So should we laugh more at work? Absolutely! With stress in the workplace becoming a real problem for many companies and employers, we all need to laugh and have more fun at work!
Mark Twain said, “The human race has only one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. The moment it arises, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.”
So what’s the secret to creating more laughter in the workplace? Here are few of my favorites:
1. Make it OK for your team(s), organization and others to laugh. As a leader start with you. By laughing at yourself, you make it okay for others to laugh too. Don’t be so serious.
2. Create a culture of laughter. Encourage employees to post and share funny posters, cartoons and quotes. However, make sure you monitor them.
3. Start meetings off with a laugh. Share jokes and funny stories that are related to stressful situations your teams or organizations are dealing with. Encourage others to do the same.
4. Celebrate “Laugh at Work Week.” Believe it or not, there is an official week dedicated from April 1st through April 7th to laughing at work! Didn’t know that? You now have a legitimate reason to promote laughter and fun in the workplace one week a year.
5. Start a “Laughter Yoga Club.” Started in 1995 by Indian Physician Dr. Madan Kataria, these clubs promote happiness and health by taking time to laugh. Dr. Madan Kataria’s laughter club is highlighted in the video below.
If your workplace is stressful and resembles a dark, dingy no humor work zone, it’s time to relax and begin the fun 🙂
Question: Do you have other tips for bringing more laughter to work?
If you enjoyed this post and would like to share it with your team, colleagues or anyone else, please “Share” it, “Tweet” it, “LinkedIn” it, “Email” it, “Google Plus” it, or “Like” it, by using one of the buttons below. Thanks friends!
Here are a few posts on fun in the workplace you might enjoy: